Oncology


May 21 Monday
Today I started my rotation in oncology and it was nice cause I got to sleep in a little so I wasn’t complaining. Once I got there the resident students were super nice ines is super attractive and just sweet and nice and Ernesto is a good guy super happy and then they introduced me to all the doctors Eduardo pillar and Monica that are the oncologist and they are all great! Pillar is like the mormon Mom Monica is the cancer fairy with like the sweetest voice and pixy hair cut and Eduardo is the classic Spaniard haha so it got to talk to the whole group a lot but I worked with Eduardo and he was great cause he would explain everything to me and make sure I was in the loop so that was great! We saw a bunch of patients and it was cool like hearing about what their cancer was doing to their bodies and what the doctor thought needed to be done to help with the pain and do the best they could to fix it. So that was really interesting I learned a lot about a topic of medicine I didn’t know to much about. But I was able to recall stuff from previous classes so that felt good. Then after dealing with all the patients he had to do a bunch of paperwork but he explained it all too me even though it wasn’t necessary it was nice he did that and I got to talk to the group of doctors during that so it was fun! Then he invited me to come to the comité de tumores, the tumor committee haha. Where the heads of neurosurgery, radiology and oncology talk about the bad cases they are dealing with. The invitation was fun and he’d explain stuff but it seemed like they could’ve use the meeting more effectively. But then I left and went and got lunch at good burger then came back to the apartment and I had been so tired all day so I took a nap then got up and watched some narcos. I should go walk around more and enjoy Spain I just feel like imma be here so long I’ll see enough of it haha. But then we meet up for dinner and it was decent food but it’s always fun to talk all together and chill with Inma she’s pretty great. Then we came back to the hotel and planned out madrid so that was fun I talked to the Palomino’s and bought bus tickets and we have our tickets to the bull fight and so I’m super excited! Then I talked to the Guys about England and Kriss about staying in ciudad real so I got that all worked out which I was happy about. Then I FaceTimed Mom and Nora and lily and Livi and it was great to see them I love them and miss them so much!:) then I FaceTimed Lexi and that was fun! She’s such a good friend and I miss her! We talked about everything! It was good to talk to her but it made me miss home even though Spain has been so much fun!





On Tuesday in Oncology, this time I was with Monica the super nice lady and it was good just lots of paperwork is done there like there has to be a way to be more effective but whatever Haha what do I know! So yeah it was pretty normal in the hospital just visited the cancer patients it was pretty sad. Oh and I accidentally asked the hot student what the vulva was hahaha cause it Spanish it sounded different like bulb but then I realized too late haha it was funny. Then after a bunch of the guys went to this super yummy colombian restaurant and got and bandeja paisa it was so good I love colombian food! And we just talked and enjoyed the weather! Then we took a long bus to the mall and but it was such a cool mall and so big and it had every store! Like stores I’d never seen in Spain before even in like city’s like malaga or fuengirola so that was super fun! Got a nice cheap hat! Then we came back and chilled for a sec before we went to dinner at this Mexican restaurant all together and they had a lava cake it was soooo good! Then we came back and played games and I got all my trips finished so that felt super awesome to have everything planned out and get rid of that stress! And yeah that was it!


Another day in the hospital but Wednesday was really good I went with Pilar like the mom of the group and it was nice cause we didn’t have to spend hours on the computer before we went and saw the patients and she was so nice like she’s like I don’t like you guys to just stand and listen I like to have you participate and I’m like believe me I want to be doing something so she had me do as much as I could with the patients and on the computers and with the records and everything. So that was great and she taught me a lot and just was patient and would try to get to know me and she’s like super curious about the church so I talked to her as much as I could about it and even talked to her about giving her the missionaries number so it was great and talking about my family so it was a good day at the hospital it went by super quick! Then I got off and came back to the apartment and made a quick little lunch and watch some narcos then we went a couple of the guys and played soccer with some of the chavales por la calle and it was fun! Then I came back and showered and we meet up to go to dinner and it was pretty good it’s always fun to hang out like the group then we came back and played pych but everyone wanted to go to bed early which was lame... oh but it was funny these two old guys pranked the doctor by pretending to sleep and pretending to fall haha it was funny they were laughing and then Pilar called me jake and Carson the others that worked with her before aliens cause we are so nice and good people and handsome so it was a good day!


Thursday was my last day in oncology and it was a pretty decent day, sadly I didn’t get to go with pillar rather I went with Monica but it was alright cause Ernesto the student went with us and he’s pretty chill and we get along well so it was fun chillin within him and then one of the patients got really bad, like he was fine last night then today got bad and they said he was probably going to die later that day, so that was sad. But overall I mean I liked oncology it was fun but at the same time it seemed like a lot of pointless paperwork like not a very efficient system. But yeah Ernesto wanted to get a group to play futbol next week so that’ll be fun. After I went and got lunch and watched an episode of narcos and that was fun then I took a little nap and went to meet up with the hermanas to go teach and it was awesome to be back in the work! Like they had a cita set up but it failed so we walked and tried some people and then we got in with this lady and she had met with missionaries before but now is a testigo so we talked to her and it was like a decent lesson like the missionaries did great and I loved being able to help so in that aspect it was great but the lady was just being kinda dumb so idk but it was good I was super happy they let me share stuff and feel like a missionary again! Then after we got a quick ice cream to show them thanks! It was fun I was glad then I headed back to the hotel and talked with everyone. But they all went to get dinner but I wasn’t hungry but we went and got some really good pizza for the Plaza España and we just sat there talking then we went to this really cool tapa place and got drinks and then to finish off the night we went and got yummy ice cream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life of a Global Health Intern

San Sebastian

You are the Gift