First week in Zaragoza


May 6th Sunday
Today we got to go to church in Spain and it was awesome cause it was the first time I got to go since my mission and it was amazing! I love the members here and the people are just so great! It was testimony meeting also so it was even better! I meet lots of the members and a lot were so nice and wanted to have us over for family Home evening so that was awesome having them being so nice and welcoming. Also I got to see Alejandra who was in Elche and got called to this mission so that was awesome to see her! The ward is great! Then we went back and had lunch and it was super good calamari and stuff then we got to take a little nap and then we had a guided tour of the main plaza here in Zaragoza and we learned some cool stuff like about how the Romans settled the city and it’s named after Caesar Augustus and there is a statue of him made from the same mold as the Rome one given as a gift from Mussolini and I learned that Mussolini started his of dating system starting with the day he took power. The we got ice cream and we came back and hung out and tried to go to bed early for our first day in the hospital.
 Monday was our first day in the hospital so we woke up early and breakfast and took the trolley to the hospital and I went to the ENT, ear nose and throat doctor which is called a otorrinolaringolig


o which is a hard word! But she was the coolest doctor! Her name is María José and she’s like my Spanish mom! She was so sweet and explained everything to me and kept me so involved with everything it really was awesome! Also her nurse was Isabel and she was so amazing too! I loved the first day everyone was just wanted to make sure I learned and was comfortable! It was cool cause we worked with so many cute kids to and tried to help them with their hearing, so yeah it was mostly ear stuff we did and María José taught me so much it was amazing! She invited me to an operation of the eubstation tube but I couldn’t Go cause of a meeting we had but she was so nice and I can’t wait to go back! We tested the hearing of the kids and also one guy had a ear that the nerve was nonfunctional and the ear was fine and the other ear was totally wrong but the nerve worked great so that was a rarity. Then we came back and had lunch at the good burger and went to the hotel and accidentally feel asleep then we had an orientation then we planned some weekend trips and went to dinner and had an awesome paella :) then a couple of us went to find a fútbol campo and explore a little.
Then on Tuesday we were in the hospital again and it was a little more interesting every patient was different and it was cool cause at one point some guy came in with this hole in his head and María José started sewing it up and the nurse left so she had me help and I was like helping tighten it and getting her all this stuff and it was just awesome cause I felt like today I wasn’t just standing there I actually got to help out a lot and she always goes out of her way to explain to me what’s going on so she’s so awesome! She even was like just tell your mom you’re moving to Spain and I’ll be your second mom so it was awesome. But I don’t even remember it all cause we were just going like all day but it was fun and busy and I loved it then we came back and I went to Mercadona which was awesome I loved every second of it reminding me of my mission and me and the girls had lunch and had chalimocho so it was such a reminder of the mission and that was awesome then we took a little nap and after went and found a soccer ball then a bunch of us went on a walk and explored the city and found more campos de fútbol then we met up with Inma and had a really yummy dinner and went and took pictures of the cathedral at night. We then went back and started planning our trip to Valencia.
On Wednesday the hospital was awesome! I went in and started with a cafe/hot chocolate with doctora María José we just talked and chilled before the surgery then I got in my scrubs and we went into the surgery for cochlear implants for a 14 month kid and it was awesome! She like explained everything to me and kept me so involved! I was so grateful she explain and it was so cool they made a cut behind the ear and then drilled into the skull and man it was so cool but long, the kids oval window had oscified so they couldn’t find it it took like 3 hours to do each ear and they’d drill in and put the implant and sew it back up. It was amazing! Then we came back and had kebab and that was awesome just reminder of the the mission then we took a nap and went to the market and saw everything then we went and had dinner and it was yummy And I got to FaceTime the girls Nora and lily and that was fun:)
Thursday was my last day with doctora María José and Isabel in the otorrinolaringologia and I love them so much! I learned so much in my time with them, they took so much time to explain everything and really make sure I learned and had a good time and it was awesome working with kids and also seeing surgery. Today was funny cause the doctor was explaining something in English and this lady thought I only spoke English so she was saying how guapo I am and that está bueno and she wanted me to do the surgery without anesthesia so she could look as me and Isabel was like he understands Spanish and I couldn’t help smiling and it was so funny! Also I gave María José a jazz shirt and wrote her a letter of thanks and she said she’d write me a letter of recommendation. It was such a good experience with her! Then I came back and made lunch and talked to Jake and we just hung out and chilled and took a short nap then we woke up and all went to a noche de hogar that I organized with Hermana monica who turned out the be the relief society president. We took the bus over and talked to the fam and they were so cool! They are from Ecuador and so nice they have five cute kids and she made so much food she’s honestly the nicest lady to do that it was so fun and she shared a message with us just amazing and her husband Jaime was awesome! Told us lots of stuff to do in the city and the message was about helping others as doctors. It was so fun it was like being back in the mission and they were the nicest family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life of a Global Health Intern

San Sebastian

You are the Gift